How can optimism affect my health?

Studies show that optimism can affect your health in these ways: 
  • Optimists are less likely to be hospitalized after coronary bypass surgery. They are more likely to get back to normal life activities more quickly.
  • Optimists are more likely to live longer after being diagnosed with various cancers.
  • Optimists do better after surgery to unblock a blood vessel in the heart (angioplasty).
However, no personality type is a magic bullet for health. Optimism has its Achilles' heel. Although being optimistic can help you feel happier and more able to achieve goals, it may use up more energy than moping around. Most of the time, optimism and its typical coping style are associated with better immune function. However, it's important to recognize that that isn't always true. Optimism can produce worse immune function.

Continue Learning about Mental Healing (Positive Thinking)

How can I have a positive attitude while commuting?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
Practice fundamental virtues on your commute: surrender to the process, and, before you know it,...
Is optimism genetic?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
Science tells us that optimism is actually a component of our deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA). You can l...
What are some benefits of optimism?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
Here are some reasons to be optimistic: First, you will have a richer life and have more fun.Second,...
How can I be more positive?
Robert DeVitoRobert DeVito
Positivity is a habit.In each and every situation that you encounter, you must do your best to take ...