How can optimism affect my health?

Studies show that optimism can affect your health in these ways: 
  • Optimists are less likely to be hospitalized after coronary bypass surgery. They are more likely to get back to normal life activities more quickly.
  • Optimists are more likely to live longer after being diagnosed with various cancers.
  • Optimists do better after surgery to unblock a blood vessel in the heart (angioplasty).
However, no personality type is a magic bullet for health. Optimism has its Achilles' heel. Although being optimistic can help you feel happier and more able to achieve goals, it may use up more energy than moping around. Most of the time, optimism and its typical coping style are associated with better immune function. However, it's important to recognize that that isn't always true. Optimism can produce worse immune function.

Continue Learning about Mental Healing (Positive Thinking)

What are the health benefits of having a positive attitude?
Positive moods and a good attitude help your body's vital systems stay in balance. Staying upbea...
What is the difference between optimism and pessimism?
Positivity may be the key to good health. Optimists tend to adjust better to health threats and cond...
How can I teach myself to be optimistic?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Optimism is the tendency to have positive expectations. Optimists pay attention to the things that g...
Can positive self-talk increase self-esteem?
Brooke RandolphBrooke Randolph
New research suggests that the common prescriptive of positive self-talk may not be positive for all...