How does mental decline differ in men and women?

Men and women not only differ when it comes to movie tastes and erogenous zones, but also differ when it comes to mental decline. Men usually lose their ability to solve complex problems as they age, while women often lose their ability to process information quickly. That split shows us a couple of things. One, that there's certainly a strong genetic component to memory loss. And, two, that there are specific actions you should be taking to combat that genetic disposition.

While there are some places where you're naturally going to decline because of your sex, there are other areas where you're going to have an advantage. That means your job isn't only to try to rebuild the area that's breaking down but to preserve the areas that excel. But across the board, both genders lose competency in the areas in which they are weak to begin with. So women lose spatial cognition, and men suffer verbal losses. Though it's certainly not true for everyone, it may give you clues as to what areas of your brain to concentrate on as you age— or it may help you play to your strengths. (Those with poor memory recall can use organizational skills to compensate, for example.)
You: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty

International bestselling authors of YOU: The Owner's Manual and YOU: On a Diet give you all the tools and know-how to stay young and defy the ageing process. Drawing lively parallels between your...

Continue Learning about Mental Fitness & Nervous System

An Easy Trick to Strengthen Concentration
The TV game show Concentration ran almost without interruption from 1958 to 1991, until at last its fans became permanently distracted. Not a bad run,...
What can I do to give my brain a workout?
Dr. David Perlmutter, MDDr. David Perlmutter, MD
Learning a new language or musical instrument can be critically important for brain function and can...
Can reading the news help keep my mind sharp?
AARPAARP
Reading the news helps you keep up with the latest, which not only activates the memory part of the ...
What Exercises Can I Do to Keep My Mind and Memory Sharp?