How can just sitting quietly help keep my mind sharp?

Sit quietly, choose a word that calms you and when your mind starts to wander, say the word silently. A form of meditation, this type of activity can reduce the stress hormone cortisol, which zaps memory. Meditation also helps mitigate focus-stealing feelings, such as depression and anxiety.

Continue Learning about Mental Fitness & Nervous System

Easy Tips for Solving Problems
Easy Tips for Solving Problems
Got a tricky problem you’ve been noodling for days? You’ll solve it faster if you talk it out. Whether you’re rearranging the living room furniture, ...
How will joining a book club help keep my mind sharp?
AARPAARP
Pick up a good book to cut down on brain-withering boredom. Frequent reading is associated with redu...
How can chatting keep my mind sharp?
AARPAARP
Instead of popping in another movie rental, pick up the phone. Talking with someone else not only ge...
What Exercises Can I Do to Keep My Mind and Memory Sharp?