How can I exercise my brain and keep it sharp?

I believe three of the best things that you can do to keep your mind and memory sharp are: reading, puzzles (crossword, Sudoku, scrabble, etc.), and exercise. Exercise has shown time and again to boost mental function and alertness.  
Physical exercise is like a natural wonder drug for your brain and body. It gets your heart to pump life-giving blood into your brain, supplying more oxygen, glucose and nutrients that your brain needs to function at its best. The benefits of exercise are tremendous:
  • it encourages the growth of new brain cells
  • it enhances cognitive ability
  • it improves your mood, calms anxiety and helps alleviate depression
  • it fends off cognitive decline while it helps prevent, delay and lessen the effects of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease
  • it enhances the ability of insulin to prevent high blood sugar levels, reducing the risk of diabetes
  • it burns fat
  • it helps ward off osteoporosis, breast cancer and colon cancer
  • it improves muscle tone and endurance, which lowers the risk of fall accidents
  • it reduces the symptoms of ADD
  • it improves sleep
  • it can help women better cope with hormonal issues
  • it reduces the risk of high blood pressure, stroke and heart disease.
That’s a lot of benefit just for putting aside an hour four or more times a week to get your body moving. Plus, once you get over any initial resistance, it feels great. And those positive feelings seem to spill over into other areas of your life, where you start making healthier choices. People who are more physically active are also more likely to eat brain-healthy foods, get more and better quality sleep, seek out health-minded social support systems and just take better care of themselves in general.
It takes a little bit of work to keep your memory active as you age. Find out how to keep it sharp as Dr. Oz offers tips on preserving memory in this video.

Continue Learning about Mental Fitness & Nervous System

Easy Tips for Solving Problems
Easy Tips for Solving Problems
Got a tricky problem you’ve been noodling for days? You’ll solve it faster if you talk it out. Whether you’re rearranging the living room furniture, ...
How will joining a book club help keep my mind sharp?
AARPAARP
Pick up a good book to cut down on brain-withering boredom. Frequent reading is associated with redu...
How can I improve my brain power?
Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
Perhaps the most overlooked brain booster may be the most potent one: exercise. Research continues t...
What Exercises Can I Do to Keep My Mind and Memory Sharp?