How can dancing keep my mind sharp?

The New England Journal of Medicine published a 21 year study on senior citizens that showed that frequent dancing helped with protecting against dementia.  But the key is that you engage in dance frequently.  Dancing that involves making many quick decisions challenges the mind can lead to an increase in mental acuity.  Engaging in activity that requires making many split-second decisions involves the use of various brain functions all at once. 

Dancing is a brain-power activity. Learning new moves activates the brain’s motor centers that form new neural connections. Dancing also calms the brain's stress response.

Continue Learning about Mental Fitness & Nervous System

Beef Up Your Brain with Exercise
Beef Up Your Brain with Exercise
In the 1988 movie Twins, Julius and Vincent Benedict (Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny DeVito) are the result...
How can I keep my mind active as I age?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
Take classes. Universities and colleges often offer free classes for the elderly. (Check with th...
How can simply being more aware help protect your brain?
Thinking is an involuntary reflex; while you can often control what you think about, thinking is as ...
Banish Distractions to Improve Your Concentration