How can dancing keep my mind sharp?

Dancing is a brain-power activity. Learning new moves activates the brain’s motor centers that form new neural connections. Dancing also calms the brain's stress response.

The New England Journal of Medicine published a 21 year study on senior citizens that showed that frequent dancing helped with protecting against dementia.  But the key is that you engage in dance frequently.  Dancing that involves making many quick decisions challenges the mind can lead to an increase in mental acuity.  Engaging in activity that requires making many split-second decisions involves the use of various brain functions all at once. 

Continue Learning about Mental Fitness & Nervous System

An Easy Trick to Strengthen Concentration
The TV game show Concentration ran almost without interruption from 1958 to 1991, until at last its fans became permanently distracted. Not a bad run,...
How can playing video games help keep my mind sharp?
AARPAARP
New video games, such as the Wii and Nintendo DS, offer brain teasers that make you learn the comput...
Can volunteer work help keep my mind sharp?
AARPAARP
Yes. Volunteer to answer questions at the library, arboretum, museum or hospital. Playing tour guide...
Learn a Language to Build Your Brain
Learn a Language to Build Your Brain