Can volunteer work help keep my mind sharp?

Yes. Volunteer to answer questions at the library, arboretum, museum or hospital. Playing tour guide forces you to learn new facts and think on your feet, helping to form new neural pathways in your brain. What's more, interacting with others can ease stress that depletes memory.

Continue Learning about Mental Fitness & Nervous System

Easy Tips for Solving Problems
Easy Tips for Solving Problems
Got a tricky problem you’ve been noodling for days? You’ll solve it faster if you talk it out. Whether you’re rearranging the living room furniture, ...
How do sensory experiences help keep my mind sharp?
AARPAARP
Those with the best memories take advantage of all their senses. That's because memorization is a co...
How can playing video games help keep my mind sharp?
AARPAARP
New video games, such as the Wii and Nintendo DS, offer brain teasers that make you learn the comput...
A Little Daydreaming Can Help Your Brain Function