Can I get any smarter than I already am?

To show you the power you have to exercise your brain, look at a study measuring the brain size of London cabbies. Why cabbies? Despite the impression you've gotten from the profanities they hurl at jaywalkers, cabbies have a very neurologically taxing job. They have to memorize the complex layout of a city and be able to figure the fastest routes between thousands of different starting and finishing points. The results of the research: the cabbies with the most experience-and therefore the ones who kept innovating to get more rides-continually taxed their brains to survive in the competitive industry and actually had larger right temporal lobes. They built bigger brains because they used it so often-and in different ways every day.
YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger

Between your full-length mirror and high-school biology class, you probably think you know a lot about the human body. While it's true that we live in an age when we're as obsessed with our bodies as...

Continue Learning about Mental Fitness & Nervous System

Easy Tips for Solving Problems
Easy Tips for Solving Problems
Got a tricky problem you’ve been noodling for days? You’ll solve it faster if you talk it out. Whether you’re rearranging the living room furniture, ...
Can reading the news help keep my mind sharp?
AARPAARP
Reading the news helps you keep up with the latest, which not only activates the memory part of the ...
How can continuing education help keep my mind sharp?
AARPAARP
Research shows that taking courses  even just auditing them  can stave off dementia at an early age....
What Exercises Can I Do to Keep My Mind and Memory Sharp?