Can I get any smarter than I already am?

To show you the power you have to exercise your brain, look at a study measuring the brain size of London cabbies. Why cabbies? Despite the impression you've gotten from the profanities they hurl at jaywalkers, cabbies have a very neurologically taxing job. They have to memorize the complex layout of a city and be able to figure the fastest routes between thousands of different starting and finishing points. The results of the research: the cabbies with the most experience-and therefore the ones who kept innovating to get more rides-continually taxed their brains to survive in the competitive industry and actually had larger right temporal lobes. They built bigger brains because they used it so often-and in different ways every day.
YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger

Between your full-length mirror and high-school biology class, you probably think you know a lot about the human body. While it's true that we live in an age when we're as obsessed with our bodies as...

Continue Learning about Mental Fitness & Nervous System

Beef Up Your Brain with Exercise
Beef Up Your Brain with Exercise
In the 1988 movie Twins, Julius and Vincent Benedict (Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny DeVito) are the result...
How can varying my daily routine benefit my brain?
One good suggestion for improving your brain function in everyday life: Get out of that rut. At work...
How can dancing keep my mind sharp?
The New England Journal of Medicine published a 21 year study on senior citizens that showed that fr...
Brain Yoga
Brain Yoga