How can simply being more aware help protect your brain?

Thinking is an involuntary reflex; while you can often control what you think about, thinking is as natural as an ocean's ecosystem—stuff just kinda floats around and goes where it wants to go. Now, try this when you're doing a simple activity, like waking up: Instead of just rolling out of bed, splashing water on your face, and dreading your 8 a.m. meeting, think about your surroundings. Listen for birds, notice the drips of water beading down your leg in the shower, savor the sips from your OJ, think about every tooth you're brushing. It doesn't take any more time; it just helps train your brain. I'm not trying to go all philosophical on you; thinking about the thought process is really about awareness and is one of the tools you can use to strengthen your neural connections.
You: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty

International bestselling authors of YOU: The Owner's Manual and YOU: On a Diet give you all the tools and know-how to stay young and defy the ageing process. Drawing lively parallels between your...

Continue Learning about Mental Fitness & Nervous System

Easy Tips for Solving Problems
Easy Tips for Solving Problems
Got a tricky problem you’ve been noodling for days? You’ll solve it faster if you talk it out. Whether you’re rearranging the living room furniture, ...
How can having a friendly argument help keep my mind sharp?
AARPAARP
Choose a side. Talk sports, business or politics. If you can do it without getting angry, which rais...
How can dancing keep my mind sharp?
The New England Journal of Medicine published a 21 year study on senior citizens that showed that fr...
A Little Daydreaming Can Help Your Brain Function