Who should we see if my child may have selective mutism?

If your child has a regular physician or nurse practitioner, then that would be the best place to start.  Chances are, if your child does have selective mutism (SM), his regular health care provider has never heard him speak.  When you do take your child for an initial evaluation, make sure to take a video sample of him speaking normally, such as a video on your or someone else’s phone.  Usually, time is of the essence. Don’t wait for your child to “outgrow” selective mutism, because typically the older they are at the time of diagnosis, the more difficult SM is to treat.

Continue Learning about Mental Disorders

4 Things You Can Do to Live Better With Mental Illness
In the era of social media, we often see only the “perfect” parts of people’s lives, but in reality, everyone has challenges. For those living with me...
What are delusions?
Delusions are the unshakeable belief that something is true when in reality it is not. People experi...
Do anxiety disorders affect children differently than adults?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
One in eight children suffers from an anxiety disorder. Feeling anxious is a normal part of growing ...
Are the Drug Therapies for Mental Disorders Getting Better?