What treatments are available for selective mutism?

The main treatment for selective mutism (SM) is behavior therapy, with medication available in the event that the child is not making progress with behavior therapy.  While this sequence is open for discussion, the prevailing opinion is that starting with medication may reduce the family’s motivation to do the “work” that is associated with behavior therapy or parent training. So it’s preferable to begin with behavior therapy and add medication, later, if necessary.

Continue Learning about Mental Disorders

4 Things You Can Do to Live Better With Mental Illness
In the era of social media, we often see only the “perfect” parts of people’s lives, but in reality, everyone has challenges. For those living with me...
What is hypochondria?
Hypochondria is an excessive fear that you have a disease or sickness that you do not actually have,...
What are signs that my teen might have a mental health problem?
Marcus K. Blackburn, MDMarcus K. Blackburn, MD
Teenage mental health has become a much bigger issue, probably because kids are under more stres...
Dr. Tamar Chansky - What Is hostess anxiety?