What is claustrophobia?

Claustrophobia is the fear of being in a small or enclosed place. People who have claustrophobia may have difficulty being in elevators, small rooms, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines or other compact spaces.

Claustrophobia is an irrational fear of confined spaces. It is classified by the medical establishment as an anxiety disorder.

When someone with claustrophobia is confined in a small space - such as in a crowded party or an elevator -- his or her phobia will be triggered. The anxiety that follows generates both a psychological and physical reaction to the experience. That explain why a person with claustrophobia may experience an increased heart rate and trembling, as well as a sense of doom, if they stuck in a car during rush hour.

Continue Learning about Mental Disorders

4 Things You Can Do to Live Better With Mental Illness
In the era of social media, we often see only the “perfect” parts of people’s lives, but in reality, everyone has challenges. For those living with me...
Can lifestyle changes help me with adjustment disorder?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Many veterans with adjustment disorder can benefit from lifestyle changes to mitigate their response...
What is wealth addiction?
Paul  Hokemeyer, PhDPaul Hokemeyer, PhD
The concept of “wealth addiction” as a psychological disorder is not new. The term was coined in 198...
How Does an MRI Help with Diagnosing Mental Disorders?