What is the most infamous case of compulsive hoarding?

One of the most infamous cases of compulsive hoarding was the Collyer brothers. In the 1920s, they were found dead in their Harlem brownstone buried in a heap of books, newspapers, furniture, musical instruments, and rotting garbage. Newspapers of that time referred to them as eccentric hermits. Today they would likely be diagnosed with a debilitating mental health condition called compulsive hoarding, the uncontrollable impulse to collect, save, or resist discarding objects.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Mental Disorders

What You Need to Know About Misophonia
What You Need to Know About Misophonia
Does the sound of someone chewing food or even hearing them breathe bother you—​alot? You may have a condition called misophonia. Also known as select...
What types of mental disorders are common in children and teens?
Raychelle C. Lohmann, MS, LPCRaychelle C. Lohmann, MS, LPC
Mental illness is a real issue facing many of today's youth. In the U.S. alone, approximately 5 mill...
What should I do if my relative has an acute psychotic episode?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
During an acute psychotic episode, accept the fact that the person is in an "altered reality state"....
Dr. Tamar Chansky - What Is hostess anxiety?