Can medication help with my adjustment disorder?

Adjustment disorder in veterans does not typically require medication for treatment. A therapist might, on occasion, recommend a short course of anti-anxiety medication to help with anxiety or insomnia. However, an adjustment disorder is, by definition, a short-term response to a specific life stress. In the majority of cases, all that is required for treatment is supportive psychotherapy. Supportive psychotherapy focuses on communication with the patient to identify the source of stress, and determine ways to build up the patient’s defenses and confidence. Adjustment disorder usually goes away after six months at the most, whether or not it is treated.

Continue Learning about Mental Disorders

What You Need to Know About Misophonia
What You Need to Know About Misophonia
Does the sound of someone chewing food or even hearing them breathe bother you—​alot? You may have a condition called misophonia. Also known as select...
What types of mental disorders are common in children and teens?
Raychelle C. Lohmann, MS, LPCRaychelle C. Lohmann, MS, LPC
Mental illness is a real issue facing many of today's youth. In the U.S. alone, approximately 5 mill...
How can I tell if my child has an anxiety disorder?
Eastern Idaho Regional Medical CenterEastern Idaho Regional Medical Center
When parents are watching for anxiety in small kids, they should look for physical symptoms. If kids...
How Does an MRI Help with Diagnosing Mental Disorders?