Can medication help with my adjustment disorder?

Adjustment disorder in veterans does not typically require medication for treatment. A therapist might, on occasion, recommend a short course of anti-anxiety medication to help with anxiety or insomnia. However, an adjustment disorder is, by definition, a short-term response to a specific life stress. In the majority of cases, all that is required for treatment is supportive psychotherapy. Supportive psychotherapy focuses on communication with the patient to identify the source of stress, and determine ways to build up the patient’s defenses and confidence. Adjustment disorder usually goes away after six months at the most, whether or not it is treated.

Continue Learning about Mental Disorders

4 Things You Can Do to Live Better With Mental Illness
In the era of social media, we often see only the “perfect” parts of people’s lives, but in reality, everyone has challenges. For those living with me...
What cultural factors can affect how mental disorders are approached?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
Specific cultural factors play roles in how mental disorders are viewed, identified, and treated. Fo...
What is adjustment disorder in veterans?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Adjustment disorder is a response to stress or change that is extreme, intense, and overwhelming. It...
How Does an MRI Help with Diagnosing Mental Disorders?