Is medication safe for children with generalized anxiety disorder?

In addition to therapy, some children with generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) may benefit from treatment with medication. Antidepressants or anti-anxiety medications are often prescribed to help relieve symptoms of anxiety.

In many countries, there is great concern about the use of anti-depressants in children and adolescents because suicide-related behaviors (suicide attempts and suicidal thoughts) and hostility (predominantly aggression, oppositional behavior, and anger) have been observed more frequently in clinical studies among children and adolescents treated with antidepressants (compared to those treated with placebo). Some countries have issued warnings against prescribing these medications to children and adolescents.

Continue Learning about Mental Disorders

4 Things You Can Do to Live Better With Mental Illness
In the era of social media, we often see only the “perfect” parts of people’s lives, but in reality, everyone has challenges. For those living with me...
What can I do to get my dissociative identity disorder in better control?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
The following can help control symptoms of dissociative identity disorder under control:Know your tr...
How common are serious mental illnesses like schizophrenia?
Mark Moronell, MDMark Moronell, MD
The National Alliance on Mental Illness reports that 5% to 7% of adults are currently living wit...
Dr. Tamar Chansky - What Is hostess anxiety?