How does therapy help veterans with adjustment disorder?

Therapy helps veterans with adjustment disorder by providing emotional support and strategies to get you back to your normal ability to function. Formal psychotherapy is not usually needed; focusing on the here and now, rather than past life experiences, will be enough to relieve symptoms. Supportive psychotherapy uses communication to help you identify the source of stress, and build up your stress defenses and confidence. It can provide you with coping skills for your current stressor and future stressful events. Therapy will also help you understand why the stressful event had such a powerful effect on you.

Continue Learning about Mental Disorders

What You Need to Know About Misophonia
What You Need to Know About Misophonia
Does the sound of someone chewing food or even hearing them breathe bother you—​alot? You may have a condition called misophonia. Also known as select...
Is trichotillomania common?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Approximately 2 to 4 percent of the population has trichotillomania. In early childhood, the conditi...
How can I tell if my child has an anxiety disorder?
Eastern Idaho Regional Medical CenterEastern Idaho Regional Medical Center
When parents are watching for anxiety in small kids, they should look for physical symptoms. If kids...
Dr. Tamar Chansky - What Is hostess anxiety?