How can I tell if my child has selective mutism?

The hallmark of selective mutism (SM) is the child who speaks normally at home but has never or rarely been heard to speak at school.  Oftentimes, these children might speak to another child if they are off by themselves, but has never been heard to speak when in the presence of their classmates and teacher.

Continue Learning about Mental Disorders

What You Need to Know About Misophonia
What You Need to Know About Misophonia
Does the sound of someone chewing food or even hearing them breathe bother you—​alot? You may have a condition called misophonia. Also known as select...
What is adjustment disorder with depressed mood?
Adjustment disorder with depressed mood is a variation of adjustment disorder in which responding to...
Does adjustment disorder need treatment, or will it go away on its own?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
If you are experiencing adjustment disorder after a stressful life event, you may wish to seek treat...
Dr. Tamar Chansky - What Is hostess anxiety?