How can I stop myself from hoarding food?

These steps can help keep you from hoarding food:
  • Don’t keep food in nightstands, desks or cars: Stick to eating in eating places -- in the kitchen, at the table, in a restaurant. Sometimes, those idle calories consumed in “non-eating” zones are the least healthy and are the stealth calories that lead to the extra weight.
  • Don’t overbuy: Those warehouse stores make bulk buying so tempting, but the cost savings can often result in overeating. At the end of the day, that bargain may not be worth it. Shopping at these stores may not feel like hoarding, but if your garage looks like a warehouse, it can contribute to accumulating more stuff than you need and overeating (as well as overconsumption of processed food), while rationalizing it as a bargain.

Continue Learning about Mental Disorders

4 Things You Can Do to Live Better With Mental Illness
In the era of social media, we often see only the “perfect” parts of people’s lives, but in reality, everyone has challenges. For those living with me...
What is the treatment for dissociative identity disorder?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Treatment of dissociative identity disorder often consists of individual therapy, structure (schedul...
What is hypochondria?
Hypochondria is an excessive fear that you have a disease or sickness that you do not actually have,...
Are the Drug Therapies for Mental Disorders Getting Better?