How does claustrophobia develop?

Some people believe claustrophobia is a genetic condition, but others believe it is transferred through conditioning.

If a child of a claustrophobe parent witnesses an anxious reaction to a particular place, that child may learn that behavior, some experts say. Another theory is that claustrophobia is caused by a childhood trauma, such as being trapped in a closet.

Some psychologists think claustrophobia is rooted in our birthing process, which requires us to pass through the cramped, confined space of the uterus.

After going through the uterus, the newborn is forced out of the women by muscular contractions, an event referred to as birth trauma.

Birth trauma theorists suggest all of us have some degree of claustrophobia, since we were all born, but under this theory, children born in more difficult births would have pronounced cases of claustrophobia later on in life.

Continue Learning about Mental Disorders

4 Things You Can Do to Live Better With Mental Illness
In the era of social media, we often see only the “perfect” parts of people’s lives, but in reality, everyone has challenges. For those living with me...
How can I tell if my child has an anxiety disorder?
Eastern Idaho Regional Medical CenterEastern Idaho Regional Medical Center
When parents are watching for anxiety in small kids, they should look for physical symptoms. If kids...
Is mental illness contagious?
Gail M. Saltz, MDGail M. Saltz, MD
Mental illness is definitely not contagious. In this video, psychiatrist Gail Saltz, MD, explains th...
How Does an MRI Help with Diagnosing Mental Disorders?