How common is adjustment disorder in veterans?

Mental health issues such as adjustment disorder are, unfortunately, relatively common among veterans returning from active duty. The records of the VA health care system from 2000 to 2007 show that 41% of patients treated had either a mental health or a behavioral adjustment disorder. In the general population, the incidence of adjustment disorder is estimated between 5-20%. Twice as many women as men are diagnosed with adjustment disorder. Research on gender differences in depression has suggested that women over age 15 display a more depressive outlook than men. Women may be prone to respond to depression in ways that worsen the condition and even prolong it. These findings could be applied to women with adjustment disorder with depressed mood.

Continue Learning about Mental Disorders

4 Things You Can Do to Live Better With Mental Illness
In the era of social media, we often see only the “perfect” parts of people’s lives, but in reality, everyone has challenges. For those living with me...
Can medication help with my adjustment disorder?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Adjustment disorder in veterans does not typically require medication for treatment. A therapist mig...
What should I do if my relative has an acute psychotic episode?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
During an acute psychotic episode, accept the fact that the person is in an "altered reality state"....
Dr. Tamar Chansky - What Is hostess anxiety?