How can family members support a veteran with adjustment disorder?

Family members can support a veteran with adjustment disorder by being nonjudgmental, sympathetic and understanding. Adjustment disorder is the result of a life change or stress that overwhelms the veteran’s ability to cope. You may not respond to change or stress in the same way, or to the same degree. Avoid suggesting that the veteran is weak or overreacting because their response to stress is different from yours. Understand that the condition is usually short-lived, and that therapy can ease the symptoms and speed recovery. Encourage your veteran to seek professional mental health support when adjustment disorder is interfering with their ability to function. Consider family therapy as a means to reduce tension and create a supportive home environment for the veteran.

Continue Learning about Mental Disorders

4 Things You Can Do to Live Better With Mental Illness
In the era of social media, we often see only the “perfect” parts of people’s lives, but in reality, everyone has challenges. For those living with me...
What is Body Integrity Identity Disorder (BIID)?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Body Integrity Identity Disorder is a condition characterized by an unusual, but strong desire, to h...
What should I do if my relative has an acute psychotic episode?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
During an acute psychotic episode, accept the fact that the person is in an "altered reality state"....
Are the Drug Therapies for Mental Disorders Getting Better?