Is it safe for children to take medication for anxiety disorders?

Children can safely take medication for anxiety disorders. The most effective treatment programs combine cognitive-behavioral therapy and medication. Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) are the medication of choice when treating anxiety disorders. In 2004, the FDA warned that some antidepressants, including SSRIs, may increase suicidal thoughts in a small number of children. SSRIs are still safe and effective for children to take, although you and your child's doctor should discuss potential side effects and watch for signs of depression.

Continue Learning about Mental Disorders

What You Need to Know About Misophonia
What You Need to Know About Misophonia
Does the sound of someone chewing food or even hearing them breathe bother you—​alot? You may have a condition called misophonia. Also known as select...
What is wealth addiction?
Paul  Hokemeyer, PhDPaul Hokemeyer, PhD
The concept of “wealth addiction” as a psychological disorder is not new. The term was coined in 198...
How can I tell if my child has an anxiety disorder?
Eastern Idaho Regional Medical CenterEastern Idaho Regional Medical Center
When parents are watching for anxiety in small kids, they should look for physical symptoms. If kids...
Are the Drug Therapies for Mental Disorders Getting Better?