What is adjustment disorder with depressed mood?

Adjustment disorder with depressed mood is a variation of adjustment disorder in which responding to stress involves symptoms of depression. Typically, adjustment disorder is experienced by veterans as an excessive response to a specific life change or stressor, which interferes with your ability to function in life.  If your symptoms include low energy, negative outlook, crying spells, and feeling hopeless, you may have adjustment disorder with depressed mood. The condition may also express itself in irritability or anger, guilt, worthlessness, insomnia, difficulty concentrating, and thoughts of suicide. A related type of the disorder is adjustment disorder with mixed anxiety and depressed mood, with symptoms that exhibit a mix of depression and anxiety.

Continue Learning about Mental Disorders

8 Risk Factors for Tardive Dyskinesia
8 Risk Factors for Tardive Dyskinesia
Tardive dyskinesia is an involuntary movement disorder where prevention or early treatment is recommended. Learn if you or a loved one is at risk for ...
How can I tell if my child has an anxiety disorder?
Eastern Idaho Regional Medical CenterEastern Idaho Regional Medical Center
When parents are watching for anxiety in small kids, they should look for physical symptoms. If kids...
How is adjustment disorder in veterans treated?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Since the cause of adjustment disorder is a specific life change or stress, treatment focuses on rel...
How Does an MRI Help with Diagnosing Mental Disorders?