Why am I so tired during my period?

Heavy periods and fatigue may go hand in hand because heavy menstrual bleeding may lead to anemia.

Along with tiredness, other symptoms of anemia can include headaches and shortness of breath.

If you have heavy periods and find yourself dragging throughout the day, talk to your doctor. Anemia is caused by a lack of iron and can be confirmed or ruled out with a simple blood test. If you have anemia, your healthcare provider may recommend iron supplements, more iron in your diet, or both.

Continue Learning about Menstruation

The One Tampon Complication Can Be Life-Threatening
The tampon was invented in 1929 by Dr. Earl Haas, and many women immediately found it to be a more convenient option. But having your period was a tab...
What is menstruation?
Dr. Jessica A. Shepherd, MDDr. Jessica A. Shepherd, MD
Menstruation is the process in women of monthly vaginal bleeding. Hormone imbalances are typically t...
Severe Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t Ignore
Severe Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t IgnoreSevere Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t IgnoreSevere Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t IgnoreSevere Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t Ignore
We all have bleeding and cramping, but these red flags may mean it's time to see your gyno.
How Can I Relieve Mild Menstrual Cramps?