Why do I have such severe abdominal pain during my period?

Abdominal pain during your period could mean more than normal cramping -- it could be a sign of endometriosis. If pain during your period is consistently toward the higher numbers like 8, 9, or 10 on a pain intensity scale, you may be one of the 5 to 7 million women in America who suffer from this painful disorder.

Normally, every month, your uterus breaks down tissue, shedding its lining and creating cramping in the process. In endometriosis, some of your uterine tissue or “period lining” ends up where it shouldn’t, including the lining of your abdomen. Oddly enough, when that tissue travels outside your uterus, it still acts like it’s part of your period, so it still swells and cramps without your body being able to release it, creating awful pain.

Periods should become less painful as you age, not worse. So if you notice your periods getting worse, pay attention and schedule an appointment with your doctor.

Continue Learning about Menstruation

Menstruation

Menstruation

The menstrual cycle can vary from women to women. Some get their period on the same day every month, while others have irregular cycles, a heavy flow, painful cramps or PMS. Learn more about menstrual problems from our experts.