Why do I have such severe abdominal pain during my period?

Abdominal pain during your period could mean more than normal cramping -- it could be a sign of endometriosis. If pain during your period is consistently toward the higher numbers like 8, 9, or 10 on a pain intensity scale, you may be one of the 5 to 7 million women in America who suffer from this painful disorder.

Normally, every month, your uterus breaks down tissue, shedding its lining and creating cramping in the process. In endometriosis, some of your uterine tissue or “period lining” ends up where it shouldn’t, including the lining of your abdomen. Oddly enough, when that tissue travels outside your uterus, it still acts like it’s part of your period, so it still swells and cramps without your body being able to release it, creating awful pain.

Periods should become less painful as you age, not worse. So if you notice your periods getting worse, pay attention and schedule an appointment with your doctor.

Continue Learning about Menstruation

Does prolonged vaginal bleeding need to be checked by a doctor?
You should call your doctor if vaginal bleeding lasts more than seven days, since it may be a sign o...
Do I need to eat anything special when I have my period?
There is a possibility that you are losing considerable iron during your period. On average, wom...
Severe Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t Ignore
Severe Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t IgnoreSevere Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t IgnoreSevere Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t IgnoreSevere Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t Ignore
We all have bleeding and cramping, but these red flags may mean it's time to see your gyno.
Are There Alternative Treatments for Menstrual Problems?