What does it mean if my menstrual blood is brown?

Mia Lundin
OBGYN (Obstetrician & Gynecologist)

It usually means that your estrogen is somewhat low or it could also be a sign of a vaginal infection.

If menstrual blood is brown in color, it’s simply old blood.

Alisa Vitti
Alternative & Complementary Medicine Specialist

If your menstrual blood is brown and late to start, this typically indicates low levels of progesterone. In this video, functional nutrition specialist Alisa Vitti describes how hormone imbalances can affect the color of your menstrual blood.

Continue Learning about Menstruation

The One Tampon Complication Can Be Life-Threatening
The tampon was invented in 1929 by Dr. Earl Haas, and many women immediately found it to be a more convenient option. But having your period was a tab...
Why do women crave chocolate during their periods?
John La PumaJohn La Puma
This is way more than a $64000 question, and there's a lot of research about it. Chocolate releases ...
Severe Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t Ignore
Severe Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t IgnoreSevere Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t IgnoreSevere Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t IgnoreSevere Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t Ignore
We all have bleeding and cramping, but these red flags may mean it's time to see your gyno.
Can I Get Pregnant When I Have My Period?