Is vaginal discharge and spotting between periods normal?

Women typically have some type of vaginal discharge and it will change depending on where they are in their menstrual cycle.

At the time of ovulation, discharge is usually very thin and clear. After ovulation discharge becomes thicker and may look more white than clear. If you are having discharge that is new or different, or if there is any significant odor or discomfort associated with it, you should have it evaluated by a health care provider. Vaginal bleeding that is not happening at the time of your period also needs to be evaluated.

Continue Learning about Menstruation

The One Tampon Complication Can Be Life-Threatening
The tampon was invented in 1929 by Dr. Earl Haas, and many women immediately found it to be a more convenient option. But having your period was a tab...
How often should I change my pad or tampon during menstruation?
Using the appropriate pad or tampon during menstruation, and changing it appropriately, can help you...
Severe Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t Ignore
Severe Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t IgnoreSevere Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t IgnoreSevere Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t IgnoreSevere Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t Ignore
We all have bleeding and cramping, but these red flags may mean it's time to see your gyno.
Do Women Get Pregnant More Often than They Used To?