Is vaginal discharge and spotting between periods normal?

Women typically have some type of vaginal discharge and it will change depending on where they are in their menstrual cycle.

At the time of ovulation, discharge is usually very thin and clear. After ovulation discharge becomes thicker and may look more white than clear. If you are having discharge that is new or different, or if there is any significant odor or discomfort associated with it, you should have it evaluated by a health care provider. Vaginal bleeding that is not happening at the time of your period also needs to be evaluated.

Continue Learning about Menstruation

The One Tampon Complication Can Be Life-Threatening
The tampon was invented in 1929 by Dr. Earl Haas, and many women immediately found it to be a more convenient option. But having your period was a tab...
Why do I have such severe abdominal pain during my period?
Abdominal pain during your period could mean more than normal cramping -- it could be a sign of endo...
Do I need to eat anything special when I have my period?
Kat Barefield, MS, RDKat Barefield, MS, RD
No, unless you’re not eating healthfully. Most people don’t eat enough fruits and veggies, whole gra...
What Happens to the Female Brain at Onset of Puberty?