Is painful cramping during menstruation a sign of infertility?

Mary Olender, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
Painful cramping during menstruation is not necessarily a sign of infertility, and it depends on the women’s age. Watch Mary Olender, MD of West Hills Hospital and Medical Center, explain more.
Painful cramping during menstruation is not necessarily a sign of infertility. It is very common for women to have cramps during their period, and this does not always indicate a problem. However, severe cramping and pain can indicate a condition, called endometriosis, that can place women at a higher risk of infertility. Endometriosis is a condition in which the cells that cause a woman to have a period travel outside of the uterus to places such as the abdomen or ovaries. This can cause scaring, which can potentially lead to infertility if severe and left untreated.

Painful cramping during menstruation may be a sign of potential infertility issues. One of the most common causes of painful menstrual cramping is a condition known as endometriosis. With endometriosis, the tissues that line the uterus (the endometrium) are found outside of the uterus in the pelvic cavity. During menses, these tissues are triggered by a woman's hormones to thicken and break down - just like the process that happens to the lining of the uterus. The presence of this dynamic tissue where it does not belong can cause scarring, adhesions and blockages that prevent the sperm from reaching the egg, or prevent a fertilized egg (embryo) from traveling to the uterus.

Sometimes, however, painful cramps are not related to endometriosis or other causes of infertility and are simply an unwelcome nuisance and irritant that returns on a monthly basis.

Continue Learning about Menstruation

The One Tampon Complication Can Be Life-Threatening
The tampon was invented in 1929 by Dr. Earl Haas, and many women immediately found it to be a more convenient option. But having your period was a tab...
What does it mean if my menstrual blood is brown?
Mia LundinMia Lundin
It usually means that your estrogen is somewhat low or it could also be a sign of a vaginal infectio...
Do I need to eat anything special when I have my period?
Kat Barefield, MS, RDKat Barefield, MS, RD
No, unless you’re not eating healthfully. Most people don’t eat enough fruits and veggies, whole gra...
Is It Safe to Be on Birth Control to Regulate My Period?