Will I menstruate during postmenopause?

Patricia Geraghty, NP
Women's Health
Postmenopause is the time of life after menstruation has completely stopped. This means that no, it is not normal to menstruate after postmenopause.
Bleeding in postmenopause is usually due to either thickening of the lining of the uterus caused by estrogen, whether produced by the woman's own system or taken as a medication, that is not balanced by the other female hormone, progesterone. It can also be caused by excessive thinning of the uterine lining, or atrophy. It always needs to be checked.
The traditional definition of menopause instructs women to see their health care provider if there is any bleeding following 12 months of no periods. Many health care providers would like to keep closer observation on this and will instruct their patients to call if there is any bleeding after 6 months of no periods.
Discuss with your health care provider when you should call.

Continue Learning about Menstruation

The One Tampon Complication Can Be Life-Threatening
The tampon was invented in 1929 by Dr. Earl Haas, and many women immediately found it to be a more convenient option. But having your period was a tab...
What makes my breasts swell a week before my period?
Saturated fats contribute to breast swelling before your period. Watch the video to find out from...
5 Ways to Relieve Menstrual Cramps
5 Ways to Relieve Menstrual Cramps5 Ways to Relieve Menstrual Cramps5 Ways to Relieve Menstrual Cramps5 Ways to Relieve Menstrual Cramps
Painlessly surf the crimson wave.
What Is PMS?
What Is PMS?