Is it dangerous to have irregular periods?

In general, it is not dangerous to have irregular periods. Having irregular periods can be quite normal at the beginning and end of a woman’s reproductive life, for example, when she starts having periods or as she approaches menopause. However, irregular periods can be a sign of hormonal imbalances or abnormalities with a woman’s reproductive organs (uterus and ovaries). Irregular periods that are also very heavy can lead to problems with a low blood count, or anemia. If a woman has a concern about irregular periods, it is best to see a doctor as there are many different reasons for irregular periods.
It is important that you have a period at least every three to four months (while you are not trying to become pregnant) to avoid the possibility of developing a thickened lining of your uterus, which can be a risk for developing uterine cancer. Your gynecologist or a reproductive endocrinologist can prescribe either a birth control pill or progesterone medication to establish regular periods while you are not seeking pregnancy.

Continue Learning about Menstruation

The One Tampon Complication Can Be Life-Threatening
The tampon was invented in 1929 by Dr. Earl Haas, and many women immediately found it to be a more convenient option. But having your period was a tab...
When should I be concerned about my heavy periods?
Aventura Hospital and Medical Center - HCA East FloridaAventura Hospital and Medical Center - HCA East Florida
If a patient is experiencing heavy periods on a regular basis, they should seek medical care.
Are tampons safe?
Wesley Medical CenterWesley Medical Center
Tampons are safe if they are left in for no more than four to six hours. Some people do sleep with t...
Is It Safe to Be on Birth Control to Regulate My Period?