How do I manage food cravings right before I get my period?

Even though food cravings and other symptoms may be a predictable part of your monthly cycle, this doesn’t make them any easier to manage. There is some research that shows that eating certain foods may help you feel better prepared for these cravings. For example, complex carbohydrates (i.e. hot and cold whole grain cereals, breads, rice, and pasta) and high-calcium foods help some people ward off the beckoning calls from the persistent chocolate bar. Making sure you eat enough fresh fruits and vegetables, whole-grain products, non-fat dairy products, lean fish, and poultry to insure that your body is well nourished which will also help. When you are hungry, you are much more susceptible to cravings, so you may want to try frequent small meals (called a “grazing pattern”) during this time.

Continue Learning about Menstruation

The One Tampon Complication Can Be Life-Threatening
The tampon was invented in 1929 by Dr. Earl Haas, and many women immediately found it to be a more convenient option. But having your period was a tab...
What can cause a missed period?
If you miss your period altogether, the first thing to rule out is pregnancy. Once you have done tha...
Severe Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t Ignore
Severe Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t IgnoreSevere Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t IgnoreSevere Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t IgnoreSevere Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t Ignore
We all have bleeding and cramping, but these red flags may mean it's time to see your gyno.
What Happens to the Female Brain at Onset of Puberty?