How long does a menstruation cycle last?

A menstruation cycle, if regular, begins on the first day of bleeding and ends on the first day of your next bleeding. The cycle can last between 21 and 35 days but the average cycle is about 28 days. The length of the cycle is determined by the hormonal changes that take place during each phase of the cycle. A woman's cycle length may vary over the course of her reproductive years. Ovulation, which is when the egg leaves the ovary, usually occurs mid-cycle at about day 14 depending on the length of the entire cycle.

Continue Learning about Menstruation

The One Tampon Complication Can Be Life-Threatening
The tampon was invented in 1929 by Dr. Earl Haas, and many women immediately found it to be a more convenient option. But having your period was a tab...
When should I see a doctor for my periods?
Riverside Women's HealthRiverside Women's Health
See your doctor about your period if: You have not started menstruating by the age of 15. You have ...
Severe Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t Ignore
Severe Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t IgnoreSevere Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t IgnoreSevere Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t IgnoreSevere Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t Ignore
We all have bleeding and cramping, but these red flags may mean it's time to see your gyno.
Do All Women Get PMS?
Do All Women Get PMS?