Why do women crave chocolate during their periods?

John La Puma
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism

This is way more than a $64000 question, and there's a lot of research about it. Chocolate releases feel-good hormones like dopamine and serotonin; repletes magnesium; emulaties marijuana in the brain; and just makes women feel good when they often feel bad.

But if chocolate cravings were all about physiology, women would not eat chocolate during their periods for psychological reasons. And chocolate craving wouldn't be a primarily U.S. phenomenon. 

It's probably the forbidden treat of chocolate and its sensory qualities that are primarily responsible for period cravings, together with the social and cultural mystique around it. Hormones are important.  They're just not the whole chocolate bar.

Continue Learning about Menstruation

The One Tampon Complication Can Be Life-Threatening
The tampon was invented in 1929 by Dr. Earl Haas, and many women immediately found it to be a more convenient option. But having your period was a tab...
Why am I so tired during my period?
Heavy periods and fatigue may go hand in hand because heavy menstrual bleeding may lead to anemi...
What is menstruation?
Dr. Jessica A. Shepherd, MDDr. Jessica A. Shepherd, MD
Menstruation is the process in women of monthly vaginal bleeding. Hormone imbalances are typically t...
What Is PMS?
What Is PMS?