What can cause a missed period?

If you miss your period altogether, the first thing to rule out is pregnancy. Once you have done that, another possible cause is anovulation, which simply means you did not ovulate that month. It's possible that your next period may be heavier or longer if you have skipped a period in between.

For most women, incidental anovulation is normal and not a cause for worry. Some women simply have a more-sensitive endocrine-feedback system so that changes in stress, weight, and other factors cause shifts in their menstrual cycles.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Menstruation

The One Tampon Complication Can Be Life-Threatening
The tampon was invented in 1929 by Dr. Earl Haas, and many women immediately found it to be a more convenient option. But having your period was a tab...
Why am I so tired during my period?
Heavy periods and fatigue may go hand in hand because heavy menstrual bleeding may lead to anemi...
5 Ways to Relieve Menstrual Cramps
5 Ways to Relieve Menstrual Cramps5 Ways to Relieve Menstrual Cramps5 Ways to Relieve Menstrual Cramps5 Ways to Relieve Menstrual Cramps
Painlessly surf the crimson wave.
Is It Safe to Be on Birth Control to Regulate My Period?