Can menstrual problems affect my ability to get pregnant?

One menstrual problem, polycystic ovary syndrome, is the most common reason for infertility in women. Women with this disorder may have erratic periods, and they may ovulate rarely or not at all. A woman with polycystic ovary syndrome who is trying to conceive may need medication or surgery to prompt ovulation.

Another menstrual problem, amenorrhea (the lack of periods), may mean a woman is not ovulating. Women with amenorrhea may need hormone treatments in order to conceive.

Continue Learning about Menstruation

The One Tampon Complication Can Be Life-Threatening
The tampon was invented in 1929 by Dr. Earl Haas, and many women immediately found it to be a more convenient option. But having your period was a tab...
Is it safe to be on birth control to regulate my period?
Ellen Rome, MDEllen Rome, MD
Watch as Dr. Ellen Rome discusses the safety of taking birth control pills to regulate a teen's ...
Severe Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t Ignore
Severe Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t IgnoreSevere Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t IgnoreSevere Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t IgnoreSevere Period Symptoms You Shouldn’t Ignore
We all have bleeding and cramping, but these red flags may mean it's time to see your gyno.
How Do Hormone Fluctuations Affect Women?