Can dietary changes help ease menstrual problems?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Simply changing the way you eat may ease the symptoms of some types of menstrual problems. For example, a calcium-rich diet may relieve premenstrual syndrome (PMS), as can a diet high in whole grains, fruits, and vegetables. You may also want to try reducing salt and portion sizes to avoid feeling bloated during PMS, and steer clear of alcohol and caffeine.

Polycystic ovary syndrome is another menstrual problem that may respond to changes in diet. Women with this syndrome may have cysts on their ovaries, erratic or absent periods, obesity, and issues such as abundant facial hair due to excess testosterone. They may also have high insulin levels, which can prevent ovulation and cause infertility. Losing weight and limiting refined carbohydrates such as potatoes, bread, and desserts can bring insulin levels down and possibly prompt ovulation.

Bear in mind too that eating disorders can cause irregular periods, including bulimia nervosa, anorexia nervosa, and binge eating disorder. If you think you may have an eating disorder, speak with your doctor or other medical counselor.

Continue Learning about Menstruation

What Is the Average Age When Menses Begins?
Is It Safe to Be on Birth Control to Regulate My Period?
How Do Hormone Fluctuations Affect Women?
When Does PMS First Appear?
When Does PMS First Appear?