Can dietary changes help ease menstrual problems?

Simply changing the way you eat may ease the symptoms of some types of menstrual problems. For example, a calcium-rich diet may relieve premenstrual syndrome (PMS), as can a diet high in whole grains, fruits, and vegetables. You may also want to try reducing salt and portion sizes to avoid feeling bloated during PMS, and steer clear of alcohol and caffeine.

Polycystic ovary syndrome is another menstrual problem that may respond to changes in diet. Women with this syndrome may have cysts on their ovaries, erratic or absent periods, obesity, and issues such as abundant facial hair due to excess testosterone. They may also have high insulin levels, which can prevent ovulation and cause infertility. Losing weight and limiting refined carbohydrates such as potatoes, bread, and desserts can bring insulin levels down and possibly prompt ovulation.

Bear in mind too that eating disorders can cause irregular periods, including bulimia nervosa, anorexia nervosa, and binge eating disorder. If you think you may have an eating disorder, speak with your doctor or other medical counselor.

Alisa Vitti
Alternative & Complementary Medicine Specialist

Diet is key to improving endocrine function, which leads to more balanced hormones during your menstrual cycle. Watch functional nutrition specialist Alisa Vitti explain how high fiber foods, greens and healthy fats can work to balance your hormones.

Continue Learning about Menstruation

The One Tampon Complication Can Be Life-Threatening
The tampon was invented in 1929 by Dr. Earl Haas, and many women immediately found it to be a more convenient option. But having your period was a tab...
Do I need to eat anything special when I have my period?
Kat Barefield, MS, RDKat Barefield, MS, RD
No, unless you’re not eating healthfully. Most people don’t eat enough fruits and veggies, whole gra...
5 Ways to Relieve Menstrual Cramps
5 Ways to Relieve Menstrual Cramps5 Ways to Relieve Menstrual Cramps5 Ways to Relieve Menstrual Cramps5 Ways to Relieve Menstrual Cramps
Painlessly surf the crimson wave.
Scented Panty Liners
Scented Panty Liners