What's the difference between circumcising an adult and a baby?

Jennifer S. Singer, MD
Urology
In the United States, doctors generally don't do adult circumcisions with clamps. They tend to use a freehand, or sleeve, technique: A sleeve of foreskin is removed and the edges are sewn back together.

Whether an adult or a child, the procedure is done in the operating room. For adult males, it can be done under a local anesthesia, which numbs the penis.

Continue Learning about Men's Sexual & Reproductive Health

How Dads May Increase Their Kids’ Health Risks
Mila Kunis couldn’t contain herself after late-night host Jimmy Kimmel said, “My wife and I are pregnant.” “Oh,” she said to him, “you’re both having ...
What is the relationship between infertility and prostate diseases?
Some studies suggest there is a link between infertility and prostate diseases. A recent study found...
What factors increase the risk of complications due to circumcision?
Jennifer S. Singer, MDJennifer S. Singer, MD
Several factors can increase the risk of complications from circumcision. These include: A bleed...
How Does Drinking Alcohol Affect My Ability to Have an Erection?