What are the risks of the different types of clamps used for circumcisions?

Jennifer S. Singer, MD
Urology
Different types of clamps used for circumcision contain different risks -- but there tends to be no difference in overall complications based on clamp type. There is a higher bleeding risk with a Gomco clamp. There is a higher risk of site injuries and serious complications with the Plastibell clamp. There is a higher injury to the tip of the penis with the Mogen clamp.

Continue Learning about Men's Sexual & Reproductive Health

How 3 Key Body Systems Impact Your Sex Life
As you get older your health plays an important role in how you experience sex. From erectile problems to decreases in drive and performance, take a c...
Why is it important to have healthy sperm?
Healthy sperm and a robust sperm count improve your odds that a single sperm will survive its ul...
Is circumcision necessary for someone with phimosis?
Diana K. Blythe, MDDiana K. Blythe, MD
Circumcision is not necessary for everyone with phimosis. When boys are younger, there is often a co...
How Will Having My Prostate Removed Affect My Sex Life?