What are the risks of circumcision?

Jennifer S. Singer, MD
Urology
There are risks with any procedure, and circumcision is no exception. The most common risks are bleeding and infection. Next most common is meatal stenosis -- a narrowing of the urinary opening, likely from scar tissue developing over time. This can occur in up to 7% of circumcised boys.

Other risks of circumcision, while rare, include: potential reactions to anesthesia, injuries to the penis, foreskin adhering to the glans penis (this can be avoided by proper care post-surgery) and unsatisfactory cosmetic outcomes.
As with any surgical procedure, there are possible risks. With circumcision, the risks are typically small (ranging between 0.2 percent and 0.6 percent) but can include:
  • Bleeding
  • Infection
  • Injury to the penis or urethra
  • Removal of excess foreskin

Continue Learning about Men's Sexual & Reproductive Health

How Dads May Increase Their Kids’ Health Risks
Mila Kunis couldn’t contain herself after late-night host Jimmy Kimmel said, “My wife and I are pregnant.” “Oh,” she said to him, “you’re both having ...
Why do men have orgasms?
It doesn't take a sexologist to know the purpose of the male orgasm: Find the egg, fertilize the egg...
What can I do to help avoid abnormal sperm?
You wouldn't think appearances count with sperm, but looks matter. Abnormal-looking sperm (bumpy hea...
What Type of Physician Treats Erectile Dysfunction?