Is it safe for an adult man to get circumcised?

Infant circumcision is one thing -- it is almost always safe, rapidly-healing and non-traumatic (particularly if anesthetic is used). Adult circumcision is a more involved matter -- healing is much slower and can be complicated by erections. Adult circumcision typically requires abstinence from masturbation or intercourse for between 4 and 6 weeks. Still, circumcision protects against some diseases-- and I believe that adult circumcision may be medically warranted in populations at very high risk for the diseases (i.e. human immunodeficiency virus [HIV]) it is known to protect for. It is also advisable in cases of painful or dysfunctional phimosis (inability of the foreskin to retract from the head of the penis) or other, rarer, problems related to the foreskin. 

Continue Learning about Men's Sexual & Reproductive Health

How Dads May Increase Their Kids’ Health Risks
Mila Kunis couldn’t contain herself after late-night host Jimmy Kimmel said, “My wife and I are pregnant.” “Oh,” she said to him, “you’re both having ...
What factors increase the risk of complications due to circumcision?
Jennifer S. Singer, MDJennifer S. Singer, MD
Several factors can increase the risk of complications from circumcision. These include: A bleed...
What is erectile dysfunction (ED)?
dLife - It's YOUR Diabetes Life!dLife - It's YOUR Diabetes Life!
Erectile dysfunction (ED), sometimes called "impotence," is the repeated inability to get or keep an...
Do Erectile Dysfunction Patients Accept the Steps of Treatment?