How can adult males care for a circumcision wound?

Jennifer S. Singer, MD
Urology
After adult circumcision the care is generally the same as for children. Bacitracin ointment can be applied along the suture line for a good three to four weeks after the procedure, and then switch to Vaseline until all the stitches dissolve. Doctors use absorbable sutures, so it is good to keep the stitches moist and apply Vaseline until they all dissolve. No further direct care is required after the stitches have dissolved, other than normal cleaning.

Continue Learning about Men's Sexual & Reproductive Health

The Top Health Benefits of Sex
The Top Health Benefits of Sex
There are a lot of great reasons to get excited about that time between the sheets with your partner. It feels so good—that goes without saying—but di...
How common is erectile dysfunction (ED)?
dLife - It's YOUR Diabetes Life!dLife - It's YOUR Diabetes Life!
Erectile dysfunction (ED) affects an estimated 15 million to 30 million, depending on the definition...
What are the most common concerns men have about their sexual health?
Erik T. Goluboff, MDErik T. Goluboff, MD
Top sexual health concerns among men include erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation. In this...
How Do I Cope If Sexual Health Issues Make Me Feel Like Less of a Man?