Can male infertility be hereditary?

Mounting evidence suggests that male infertility may be added to the growing list of adult diseases that originate in the fetus. Researchers studying the epigenetics of DNA found that sperm DNA from men with abnormal sperm or low sperm counts had high levels of methylation—one of the ways the body regulates gene expression. That methylated DNA becomes half of the fetus's genome—a perfect example of how epigenetic effects can be passed on from one generation to the next.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Men's Sexual & Reproductive Health

Awesome Facts About the Male Orgasm
Awesome Facts About the Male Orgasm
You've probably had more orgasms in your life than you can count. Whether from self-stimulation or sexual intercourse, reaching orgasm is proof that y...
What are the most common concerns men have about their sexual health?
Erik T. Goluboff, MDErik T. Goluboff, MD
Top sexual health concerns among men include erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation. In this...
Is circumcision medically necessary?
Diana K. Blythe, MDDiana K. Blythe, MD
Most of the time, circumcision is not necessary. For many years, it was believed that circumcision d...
Can Treatment for Erectile Dysfunction Depend on Other Conditions?