What tests should I have for andropause?

To test for andropause, or low testosterone, a man should get a total testosterone level, which should include the serum-free testosterone and protein-bound testosterone. Generally normal values are between 300-800. If your testosterone level is low, then further work up may be indicated to identify if the problem is in the Leydig cells that produce testosterone, or the cells in your brain that produce hormones to activate the Leydig cells.
Physicians will administer a physical to determine if you have symptoms indicative of andropause. Blood tests determine hormonal levels, but they need to be done right and do demand expertise in interpretation, as well as a good lab.

Continue Learning about Men's Health

Narcissism May Sabotage Your Health, Study Finds
It’s no wonder why Carly Simon's 1972 classic, "You're So Vain," was such a hit: It describes that self-absorbed jerk we all know, the type who always...
What might have caused the pain and swelling I had in one of my testicles?
Pain and swelling in the testicles can be from many different things. It can be a sign of very s...
6 Ways Testosterone Affects Men's Health
6 Ways Testosterone Affects Men's Health6 Ways Testosterone Affects Men's Health6 Ways Testosterone Affects Men's Health6 Ways Testosterone Affects Men's Health
Should I Get a Prostate Cancer Screening If I Have No Family History of It?