What causes sexual inhibition in men?

Madeleine M. Castellanos, MD
Psychiatry
A man's sexual inhibition system (SIS) puts the brakes on his sexuality. Research suggests there are actually two different types of SIS. One responds to performance anxiety -- his fear of erectile dysfunction, for example. That's called SIS-1. His SIS-2 responds to his fear of negative consequences from sex, like sexually transmitted diseases and unintended pregnancy.

Like the sexual excitement system (SES) that constantly scans his environment, thoughts and feelings for things that may be sexually appealing, the SIS also constantly scans his environment, in this case for turn-offs. Sounds like a downer, but the SIS can come in handy: It's what saves a man from getting an erection during a meeting with his boss or a family dinner.

Continue Learning about Men's Health

Real Men Don't Get Depressed—Or Do They?
I could barely get out of bed. I didn’t want to go to work. Didn’t want to see anybody. Didn’t feel like going for a walk or playing with my young ch...
What is the concept of men's wellness?
Natan Bar-Chama, MDNatan Bar-Chama, MD
When it comes to healthcare, men often find themselves short-changed: They die more often of car...
Essential Health Tests for Men at Any Age
Essential Health Tests for Men at Any AgeEssential Health Tests for Men at Any AgeEssential Health Tests for Men at Any AgeEssential Health Tests for Men at Any Age
Track your health with these screening tests.
How Is Premature Ejaculation Treated?
How Is Premature Ejaculation Treated?