What might have caused the pain and swelling I had in one of my testicles?

Pain and swelling in the testicles can be from many different things. It can be a sign of very serious problems such as testicular torsion (twisting of the testicle that cuts off its blood supply). Another serious problem that could cause swelling and pain of the testicle is infection. A hernia can also cause pain and swelling in the testicular area (not actually the testicle). It is important to see a physician immediately if you have pain and swelling of the testicles.
Anthony L. Komaroff, MD
I am glad to hear the pain is gone. However, you should see your doctor or a urologist. If the doctor finds any abnormality, he or she will probably send you for an ultrasound of the scrotum for a better look at both testicles.

Since the pain went away on its own, I would be most concerned that you had a twisting of a testicle. Doctors call this "testicular torsion". Blood supply decreases because the blood vessel gets caught as the testicle rotates around the spermatic cord. The spermatic cord runs from the testicle to the top of the scrotum.

When a man experiences sudden pain in one of the testicles, other possible causes include:
  • Infection. Infection of the testicles or one of the surrounding portions (orchitis or epididymitis) may cause these symptoms. However, I wouldn't expect the symptoms to get better this quickly. Also, you did not describe any fever or chills, which often occur with an infection.
  • Varicocele or spermatocele. Swelling and tenderness on one side of the scrotum could be from a varicocele or spermatocele. These are fluid collections next to the testicles. They are not cancerous. But sudden pain would be unusual.
  • Cancer. Although cancer of the testicles usually does not include pain, there are some instances where there is some bleeding into the testis that contains a cancer, and that can cause some of your symptoms.
If the pain comes back, treat this as an urgent medical problem and see a doctor as soon as possible, even if it means going to an emergency room.
Harvard Medical School 2011 Annual Report on Prostate Diseases

Prostate disorders usually develop after age 50, but some men experience them at a younger age. The three most common conditions are prostatitis, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), and prostate...

Continue Learning about Men's Health

All About Men: Facts About Your Frame
All About Men: Facts About Your Frame
Guess what? Guys can get bone problems like osteoporosis, too. An estimated 12 million men are at risk for the disease. Calcium and vitamin D help pr...
What treatments are available for men with sleep and sexual problems?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
For men suffering from sleep problems or problems with sexual function, it’s time to explore the...
9 Best Anti-Aging Tips for Men
9 Best Anti-Aging Tips for Men9 Best Anti-Aging Tips for Men9 Best Anti-Aging Tips for Men9 Best Anti-Aging Tips for Men
Feeling young and staying strong doesn't have to be difficult. Here are some simple solutions for men. 
How Does Stress Affect a Man's Sex Drive?