What are age-related sexual changes in men?

Jan L. Shifren, MD
Reproductive Endocrinology
The following are possible age-related sexual changes in men:
  • Physical changes -- Decreased testosterone; reduced blood flow to the penis; less sensitivity in the penis
  • Desire -- Decreased libido; fewer sexual thoughts and fantasies
  • Arousal -- Greater difficulty achieving an erection, maintaining an erection, or both; erections aren't as rigid
  • Orgasm -- Longer time required to reach orgasm; smaller volume of semen and less forceful ejaculation; less intense orgasms
  • Resolution -- Body returns more rapidly to an unaroused state; more time is needed between erections

Continue Learning about Men's Health

No Excuses: Staying Healthy on the Road
No Excuses: Staying Healthy on the Road
I travel for work just about every week. You might have the healthiest of intentions when you're at home, but if you're like me, once you hit the road...
How common is erectile dysfunction (ED)?
dLife - It's YOUR Diabetes Life!dLife - It's YOUR Diabetes Life!
Erectile dysfunction (ED) affects an estimated 15 million to 30 million, depending on the definition...
5 Ways to Keep Dad Healthy on Father’s Day
5 Ways to Keep Dad Healthy on Father’s Day5 Ways to Keep Dad Healthy on Father’s Day5 Ways to Keep Dad Healthy on Father’s Day5 Ways to Keep Dad Healthy on Father’s Day
Boost Dad's health and make him feel extra special at the same time.
How Might a Man React to Having Premature Ejaculation?