What can be done to overcome a man’s low sexual desire?

Ian Kerner, PhD
Sexual Health
Low sexual desire in men can be a thorny issue. Some of our oldest jokes focus on men wanting sex all of the time and women fighting them off. As a result, men often feel more shame about low libido than women do, and men and their partners may have a particularly difficult time talking about it. About 10 to 20 percent of men report experiencing low desire, compared to 20 to 30 percent of women.
Like women, men may experience low desire for a variety of reasons, including changing hormone levels, certain medications and health conditions, as well as the normal process of aging. Men may also find that their sexual desire declines when their relationship is unsatisfying or other parts of their life are in conflict or stress. Both partners are often spread thin across personal and professional obligations, and men feel a cultural expectation to always want sex. In reality, men face the same fears and anxieties that can affect a woman’s sex drive. They may feel out of shape, unattractive, too stressed, or disconnected from their partners. 

Continue Learning about Men's Health

Parsley for a Healthy Prostate
Parsley for a Healthy Prostate
You might think of it as strictly garnish, but research shows that parsley may deserve higher billing on your plate. Parsley is rich in apigenin, a t...
How can I help my dad be healthy?
Jeremiah Forster, NASM Elite TrainerJeremiah Forster, NASM Elite Trainer
Step 2 is to figure out the limiting factor but we obviously need to start with step 1. Step 1 AL...
5 Healthy Foods for Men
5 Healthy Foods for Men5 Healthy Foods for Men5 Healthy Foods for Men5 Healthy Foods for Men
These foods may lower your risk of chronic conditions like prostate cancer.
How Can I Talk About My Premature Ejaculation with My Partner?