How should I manage my andropause symptoms?

Marina Johnson
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism

Many factors can cause testosterone levels to decline. Before starting long-term testosterone replacement, a man should be carefully evaluated to determine the cause of his low testosterone. Pituitary or brain tumors can result in low testosterone and these may require surgery or other drugs. Failure to recognize this serious condition could be life threatening.

Prescription drugs may interfere with sexual function and reduce testosterone levels. Other less serious but treatable causes can include nutritional factors, stress, insomnia and other life-style issues. However, the good news is that when these are recognized and treated, testosterone may normalize without the need for testosterone treatment. The goal should be to enable a man to produce his own testosterone.

Viagra is a useful drug, which offers men an effective way to treat erectile dysfunction. However, erectile dysfunction is one of the key symptoms for low testosterone. Taking Viagra without undergoing endocrine evaluation could delay detection of a potentially treatable condition. Appropriate hormone treatment could eliminate the need for Viagra and enable the man to have normal sexual function.

Continue Learning about Men's Health

The Older Man’s Guide to Satisfying Sex
The Older Man’s Guide to Satisfying Sex
You may not have the sex drive you once had, but that doesn’t mean you can’t have a satisfying sex life. In fact, a 2015 UK survey of more than 7,000 ...
What might have caused the pain and swelling I had in one of my testicles?
Pain and swelling in the testicles can be from many different things. It can be a sign of very s...
5 Ways to Keep Dad Healthy on Father’s Day
5 Ways to Keep Dad Healthy on Father’s Day5 Ways to Keep Dad Healthy on Father’s Day5 Ways to Keep Dad Healthy on Father’s Day5 Ways to Keep Dad Healthy on Father’s Day
Boost Dad's health and make him feel extra special at the same time.
What Sex Positions Are Best for Men Who Have Back Pain?