How can I shave to prevent ingrown hairs?

Cybele Fishman, MD
Dermatology
To prevent ingrown hairs, you should exfoliate your legs regularly, use a glycolic lotion, and shave less closely; or you can use a depilatory hair removal cream. Watch dermatologist Cybele Fishman, MD, share her tips to prevent pesky ingrown hairs. 

You can help prevent ingrown hairs, also known as razor bumps, by making simple changes to your shaving routine. Start by shaving less frequently and not quite as closely. Instead, leave just a little bit of stubble. If you use a regular razor, try to not press as hard, reducing the pressure of the blade on your skin. Replace your razor blade frequently so that it is always sharp. After you shave, apply a moisturizer. Talk to your dermatologist for more information.

Continue Learning about Men's Beauty & Personal Care

When should men learn to shave?
Learning to shave is often viewed as a rite of passage for young men. Most boys have a significa...
How do I avoid missing spots when shaving my face?
You may be missing spots on your face when you shave because of your technique. To ensure that y...
Are multi-blade razors less irritating to facial skin?
Today razors are available with as many as five blades. The only way to know for sure whether yo...
What are the benefits of using aftershave?
A well-chosen aftershave can help to prevent discomfort that may occur following a shave. Shavin...