How can I shave to prevent ingrown hairs?

Cybele Fishman, MD
Dermatology
To prevent ingrown hairs, you should exfoliate your legs regularly, use a glycolic lotion, and shave less closely; or you can use a depilatory hair removal cream. Watch dermatologist Cybele Fishman, MD, share her tips to prevent pesky ingrown hairs. 

You can help prevent ingrown hairs, also known as razor bumps, by making simple changes to your shaving routine. Start by shaving less frequently and not quite as closely. Instead, leave just a little bit of stubble. If you use a regular razor, try to not press as hard, reducing the pressure of the blade on your skin. Replace your razor blade frequently so that it is always sharp. After you shave, apply a moisturizer. Talk to your dermatologist for more information.

Continue Learning about Men's Beauty & Personal Care

Is it OK for men to use women's skincare products?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Yes! Male skin is totally different from female skin on some levels and exactly the same on others. ...
What's a good daily moisturizing routine for men?
A good moisturizing routine for a man depends on his skin type. Men with dry skin should moistur...
When should men learn to shave?
Learning to shave is often viewed as a rite of passage for young men. Most boys have a significa...
Can I use my wife's moisturizer?
You can probably use your wife's moisturizer, if you have similar skin types. If you have sensit...