How can I shave to prevent ingrown hairs?

Cybele Fishman, MD
Dermatology
To prevent ingrown hairs, you should exfoliate your legs regularly, use a glycolic lotion, and shave less closely; or you can use a depilatory hair removal cream. Watch dermatologist Cybele Fishman, MD, share her tips to prevent pesky ingrown hairs. 

You can help prevent ingrown hairs, also known as razor bumps, by making simple changes to your shaving routine. Start by shaving less frequently and not quite as closely. Instead, leave just a little bit of stubble. If you use a regular razor, try to not press as hard, reducing the pressure of the blade on your skin. Replace your razor blade frequently so that it is always sharp. After you shave, apply a moisturizer. Talk to your dermatologist for more information.

Continue Learning about Men's Beauty & Personal Care

What ingredients should men look for in an anti-aging skincare product?
James M.. WilmottJames M.. Wilmott
Men, at least in the United States, seldom use a regimen of products to treat their skin.  Their ski...
Are there sensitive skin cleansers made just for men?
There are sensitive skin cleansers made just for men. They are usually labeled as such on the fr...
Do men need to moisturize their skin?
Both men and women can benefit from using a moisturizer to keep their skin healthy and glowing. ...
Do I need to use aftershave when shaving my face and neck?
Applying aftershave to your face and neck after you shave can help to minimize irritation and sk...