What is a frequent skin problem for men?

Susan Evans
Dermatology
From a man’s perspective, the #1 skin care problem would probably be ingrown hairs as a result of shaving. When guys shave, they scrape their face with a very sharp metal object; an electric or manual razor. The razor cuts each whisker, leaving a sharp, and often angled, end. Facial hair is much coarser than the hair on the rest of your body; as a result it has a tendency to curl just a bit.

When you cut each hair during your daily shave, the razor leaves a very sharp end to each whisker hair. When this hair grows just a little bit, it tends to curl on itself, pierces the skin and embeds itself into your skin. This result is razor bumps, and some of them will end up inflamed and infected.

Continue Learning about Men's Beauty & Personal Care

How do I prevent razor burn when shaving my face and neck?
To prevent razor burn while shaving your face and neck, be sure to thoroughly wet the beard and ...
Should men use lip balm?
Everyone should use a lip balm with a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 15. Look for broad...
Where can men learn more about nail care?
Men can learn more about nail care by visiting the website of the American Academy of Dermatolog...
Are there sensitive skin toners made just for men?
There are sensitive skin toners marketed just for men. Before you decide to use a toner, talk wi...