What is a frequent skin problem for men?

Susan Evans
Dermatology
From a man’s perspective, the #1 skin care problem would probably be ingrown hairs as a result of shaving. When guys shave, they scrape their face with a very sharp metal object; an electric or manual razor. The razor cuts each whisker, leaving a sharp, and often angled, end. Facial hair is much coarser than the hair on the rest of your body; as a result it has a tendency to curl just a bit.

When you cut each hair during your daily shave, the razor leaves a very sharp end to each whisker hair. When this hair grows just a little bit, it tends to curl on itself, pierces the skin and embeds itself into your skin. This result is razor bumps, and some of them will end up inflamed and infected.

Continue Learning about Men's Beauty & Personal Care

What is a safety razor?
A safety razor is simply a razor with protective guard around the blade to help you avoid cuttin...
Should my aftershave include a moisturizer?
Using a non-irritating aftershave that contains a moisturizer makes sense because shaving can ir...
What ingredients should men avoid in a skin toner?
People with sensitive skin should avoid products that contain alcohol. Men or women with acne sh...
What are the benefits of using a shaving gel on my face?
Shaving gel softens the hair on your face for easier removal and may also have a moisturizing ef...