What causes men to develop dry skin?

There are several common reasons why a man may develop dry skin. In the winter, spending a lot of time outdoors (especially on windy days) or in heated buildings without humidifiers can rob skin of moisture. Also, a man who exercises regularly probably also bathes frequently, and long hot showers can dry the skin. Slapping on alcohol-based aftershave can make matters worse. To avoid dry skin, a man should:
  • Use moisturizer daily.
  • Use a humidifier at home and at work.
  • Avoid long, hot showers.
  • Avoid skincare products that contain alcohol.
Susan Evans
Dermatology
There are a number of contributors to this problem, but most men find this to be a real problem in the winter. This is due to the decreased humidity in the air, especially inside heated office buildings and homes. Run a humidifier inside your home, and if you're the boss, do so at work too. Everyone will thank you. You'll find that creams are more moisturizing than gels.

Another contributor to dry skin can be an ongoing disease or condition like increased cholesterol or elevated blood sugars. You need to address these health problems by eating fewer processed and fast foods, increasing your omega-3 intake by eating more fish, and hitting the treadmill.

Increase your water intake. Don’t allow yourself to be dehydrated.
Don't overuse soap and avoid really long, hot showers. Moisturize afterward.

Continue Learning about Men's Beauty & Personal Care

What's a good daily moisturizing routine for men?
A good moisturizing routine for a man depends on his skin type. Men with dry skin should moistur...
Is it better for my face if I shave in the shower?
The best way to shave without causing irritation is to thoroughly wet your beard first with warm...
What ingredients should men avoid in a skin toner?
People with sensitive skin should avoid products that contain alcohol. Men or women with acne sh...
What ingredients should I avoid in aftershave?
You may want to avoid aftershave and other skincare products that contain ingredients that can b...